XP Maxamum is a pleasantly mild tasting phenylalanine-free (Phe-free) powdered drink mix for use in the dietary management of phenylketonuria (PKU).
Suitable for children over 8 years and adults, including pregnant women. Available in Unflavoured or Orange.
A Food for Special Medical Purposes. Only to be used under strict medical supervision.
XP Maxamum is available on prescription through PHARMAC.
Download the XP Maxamum Fact Sheet
Directions for Use
- Your dietitian will advise you of your daily requirements
- The daily intake of XP Maxamum should be divided into equal portions and distributed throughout the day
- It is recommended that XP Maxamum be prepared at a 1 to 7 dilution (e.g. 35g (approx 1/4 cup) of powder plus 245ml of water) and advanced to a 1 to 5 dilution (e.g. 35g (approx 1/4 cup) of powder plus 175ml of water). These dilutions are guidelines only.
- To prepare:
- Make a paste of the prescribed amount of powder with a small volume of water
- Gradually add sufficient water to make the desired volume
- XP Maxamum can be taken in a more concentrated form (e.g. made with less water). If so, water or diluted drinks should be offered at the same time.
- For best taste, consume immediately
1 cup = 145g
1/2 cup = 70g
1/4 cup = 35g
1 tbsp = 9g
- Store unopened can at room temperature
- Do not store at extreme temperatures
- Once opened, reseal can and store in a cool, dry place (not in a refrigerator)
- Once reconstituted, store in a refrigerator and use within 24 hours
- Contains Phe-free protein (amino acids) and carbohydrate as well as essential vitamins and minerals. Contains minimal traces of fat (<0.5g/100g)
- Provides 40g of protein equivalent per 100g of powder
- Refreshingly mild flavour
- Must only be consumed by individuals with proven phenylketonuria while under strict medical supervision
- Not suitable for infants under one year of age
- Not suitable for use as a sole source of nutrition
- Not for parenteral use
- Pregnant women who are taking this product still require standard folic acid supplementation
- Diet must be supplemented with natural protein and other nutrients in medically prescribed quantities to supply the phenylalanine and general nutrition requirements
If you would like more information about XP Maxamum please speak to your dietitian.