PKU Lophlex Powder
PKU Lophlex Powder is a phenylalanine-free (Phe-free) powdered drink mix for use in the dietary management of phenylketonuria (PKU).
Suitable for children aged 8 years and older and adults, including pregnant women. Available in Unflavoured, Berry and Orange flavours.
A Food for Special Medical Purposes. Only to be used under strict medical supervision.
Download the PKU Lophlex Powder Fact Sheet
Directions for Use
- Your dietitian will advise you of your daily requirements
- PKU Lophlex Powder is best served as a chilled drink or paste, made up with cold water
- Recommended dilution is 1 in 5, 28g powder (one sachet) with 65ml water
- To prepare:
- Measure 65ml water
- Mix the contents of one sachet with a small amount of measured water to make a paste
- Continue stirring while adding the remaining water
- Or prepare by shaking:
- Pour 65ml cold water into a container with a screw top lid
- Empty the contents of the sachet into the container
- Seal and shake well until the powder is dissolved
- PKU Lophlex Powder can be taken in a more concentrated form (e.g. made with less water). If so, water or diluted drinks should be offered at the same time.
- Store in a cool, dry place
- Once reconstituted, store in a refrigerator and use within 24 hours
- Contains Phe-free protein (amino acids), carbohydrate, essential vitamins, minerals and trace elements
- Very low volume –1 sachet (28g) made up to just 80ml of liquid provides a whole 20g of protein equivalent (PE)!
- Very low calorie – only 91 calories per 20g PE
- Ideal to use while traveling as an alternative to liquids
- Must only be consumed by individuals with proven phenylketonuria while under strict medical supervision
- Not suitable for use as a sole source of nutrition
- Not for parenteral use
- Pregnant women who are taking this product still require standard folic acid supplementation
- Diet must be supplemented with natural protein and other nutrients in medically prescribed quantities to supply to phenylalanine and general nutrition requirements
If you would like more information about PKU Lophlex Powder or are interested in trying it, please speak to your dietitian.